When a person sees the face of Emma Watson, one usually thinks of the familiar girl that has been made famous through the Harry Potter series and more recent films such as Perks of Being a Wallflower, Noah, and This Is The End. However, this past week has revealed her courage regarding issues the whole world could be facing. On Saturday, September 20th, 2014, Watson delivered an emotional speech for the United Nations. She addressed a problem most people do not like to speak of or tend to ignore completely; domestic violence.
I am normally turned off by women's activists, mostly because I have accepted the fact that men and women will never be equal, but this movement caught my attention because I have never seen Emma Watson make an uproar of any sort. She always came off as a calm and collective young women who barely has shared an opinion (at least to my knowledge). I know a lot of people, of all ages and genders, that look up to her as an ideal role model because she recently graduated from Brown University in addition to being a versatile and talented actress.
Feminists typically have a bad reputation to anyone who does not identify them as one because they are so extreme and often aggressive about solving their issue. Unlike the stereotypical "feminist", Watson delivers her speech with much pose, while at the same time, making fantastic argumentative points. Quotes such as . “Men — I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue, too.” and “If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop. For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.” display themes that persist throughout her address to the UN which is what made it so powerful.
No comments:
Post a Comment