http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/10/parents-angry-after-school-tells-13-year-olds-can-have-sex-choose-gender/
This was the first article that popped up in the search engine when I googled "news" and its title caught my attention. The article explains how parents in California are disgruntled by the sex education their children have been receiving at school. They are upset because the freshmen students are being taught, about gender identity and whether it's okay to have sex, in detail through this course. In addition, the parents are angry because the class is being taught by employees of Planned Parenthood.
I was initially drawn to this article because of it's uniqueness and title. Upon reading it, I, myself, became angry not because the course was being taught, but because the parents were mad it was being taught. It is crucial for teens to be aware of what sex is and how to keep it safe. Although no one wants freshmen high school students to be having sex, for some, it's bound to happen and there is little to nothing parents can do to stop it. Instead of projecting how bad it is, parents should be happy that children are learning the dangers and seriousness of it all. I am very happy that these Californian students are learning about gender identity because that is a topic that is arising immensely in today's world. Society is now seeing the word "transgender" more and more today. It's very important for children to be aware about gender identity, in the case that they are experiencing it themselves.
I understand why some parents were mad about the fact that the worksheet that gave the kids permission to take this course was vague and excluded some of the topics that were actually discussed. That is misleading and dishonest in the sense that the people from Planned Parenthood knew parents would not want their children to be exposed to that material so they lied about the course's extent. With that being said, I don't think this article deserved to be the front page article on the fox news website. It's not a huge deal that young teens are having a sex ed class. In fact, it's good that they are being educated in these such topics.
No comments:
Post a Comment